Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"App Talk" and Review- Skitch

This is a free app designed for iPhone and iPad.  The app allows you to snap a photo or use one from the camera roll, draw/mark/annotate/caption on it, and send it by Message, Facebook, Twitter, Email, Evernote Link, or other App.  Evernote created the app so that's why the Evernote link.  Besides the photo ability, you have the option of maps.  You can type in an address or search for nearby places. Then you have the ability to annotate, etc. as with photos or pictures.  The Web feature allows you to snap any web page and annotate, etc. as well.  You can view a PDF in another app, tap "open in" or share, then select Skitch.  The Draw option has many features.  You can select color, type, stamp, arrow, borders, and more.  Then you can share in any of the formats listed previously.
Positives:  I love this app!  I use it frequently on my iPhone.  For example, I'm at a game and I see someone I know but I can't remember their name.  I take a quick photo of the person that is seated in a group.  I use Skitch to draw an arrow to the person and send it to my husband to identify the person.  Problem Solved!  There are tons of uses for this app.  For education, the possibilities are endless.  It's user friendly so even the youngest (PreK), would be able to use it.  One example is taking photos around the school of shapes and using Skitch to point the arrow on the photo to the correct shape, or taking photos of words that begin with a certain letter and then typing the word over the photo.  Share a diagram and let students label parts using Skitch.
Negatives:  To mark a PDF, there is a nominal one-time $1.99 upgrade charge.  If you use PDFs frequently, it would probably be well worth the fee.


Below is an example using Skitch to mark a photo:
I give Skitch a Thumbs Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment